First Call for Papers – The AIB SSA 2015 ConferencIn recent years much attention has been paid to the surge in Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) from the so-called BRIC countries – Brazil, Russia, India and China – in Africa. However, there is a significant unfolding development that has yet to receive as much attention: the marked increase in African firms investing in Africa, or Africa Direct Investment. According to Ernst & Young, intra-African FDI is growing faster than FDI from any other region and has increased over 30 per cent since 2007; in a similar vein, in the period 2003/13, there were more greenfield investments from African firms (994) than there were from Asian (including Chinese and Indian) firms (959), according to fDi Markets.
With the decades-long dream to expand intra-African trade and investment – evident in the dozens of treaties, regional trade agreements and public speeches of African political leaders – finally becoming a reality, there is a need to understand what factors are driving this trend, as well as the prospects, challenges and policy implications. Our 2015 annual conference therefore aims to shed light on this topical issue. We seek conceptual and empirical papers, as well as teaching case studies and panels from scholars, business professionals, policy makers, doctoral, graduate and undergraduate students which contribute to a greater understanding of the issues contained in the theme above.
We also welcome submissions that address wider international business and management
agendas and geographical contexts.
Submissions should be made to (only) one of the following tracks:
- Intra-African Trade & Africa-to-Africa Internationalization Strategy
- International Entrepreneurship, SMEs & Informal Exporting
- FDI, Global Value Chains & the Geography of IB
- Human Resources, Culture & Language in International Business
- Marketing & Consumers in International Business
- Sustainability, Responsible Leadership & Governance of Natural Resources
- Economic Diplomacy & Institutional & Political Environment of IB
- International Finance, Accounting & Economics
- General Track: International Business & Management
- Teaching Cases Track
- Student Track (excluding Doctoral students)
Submission Deadline: April 30, 2015
I am looking forward to seeing you all in Johannesburg.
All the best,
Dr. Ulf Henning Richter
Assistant Professor of Strategy
Nottingham University Business School China
Office: AB 356
199 Taikang East Road